Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you will learn about my weekly practicum tasks at the Newhall Library located in Santa Clarita, California. I am working with Children's Librarian Christina Baker.

Friday, March 2, 2012

Library Week 7

Wow! Has the time been flying by! This week was my 7th week working on my internship and I had a great week! Since several schools in my area were celebrating the life of Dr. Seuss this week, the library did as well. I was fortunate enough to help with a story time geared towards elementary school children. I helped set up a display full of popular Dr. Seuss books, stuffed animal characters, and other books written in the same type of style that Dr. Seuss used.

For this event, we read the children some fun facts about Ted Geisel, had them talk a little about their favorite Dr. Seuss books, and read some stories along with similar titles. I was able to read "There's a Wocket in my Pocket". I also help some of the activities we hand out which included a matching game, a maze, a guess the character worksheet, and an activity having to do with "The Cat in the Hat". I am not sure who had more fun, the children or myself!

In addition to being involved in the story time this week, I also helped prepare it as well as a future story time. In a few weeks the topic will be dinosaurs. I was in charge of using a story time website to find ideas, songs, and book titles. I was then entrusted with the task of locating books within our branch's collection to use for the story time. I am looking forward to helping with this one when the time comes!

Here is a picture of myself standing in front of the Dr. Seuss display table!

No comments:

Post a Comment