Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you will learn about my weekly practicum tasks at the Newhall Library located in Santa Clarita, California. I am working with Children's Librarian Christina Baker.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Week 8 at the Library...

Yet again, it was another busy week at the library. Filled with many different tasks, I had my hands full. I started my week off by helping with story-time at the Valencia branch. Due to illness, each branch has been short handed so I was asked to help with baby-toddler story time. Since this is the largest and most popular branch out of the three in the valley, there can be up to 80 participants every week! My roll in these story times was not great, but I helped to set-up and supervise.

In addition to helping with the story time I also helped plan next week's. The theme is dinosaurs, so I was in charge of locating dinosaur books within the collection and finding songs for the children to sing. This was my first time doing this, and I really had a lot of fun. There is so much that goes into reading and picking out the books and the actual planning and preparation than I previously thought.

This week I also read a story to the school age story time group. After I read the story, I helped the children with a small arts and crafts project. Since this age group is the oldest of all the story times the library offers, the librarians who plan it try to read a variety of stories and try to encourage children to write their own stories. The craft project we provided tonight required the children to write a short story and draw four to five pictures to represent their stories.

I cannot wait for next week! I am going to help with the first Dinosaur story time and by the end of the week I will be doing the whole thing myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment