Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you will learn about my weekly practicum tasks at the Newhall Library located in Santa Clarita, California. I am working with Children's Librarian Christina Baker.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Week 2 at the Newhall Library

For this weeks internship hours, I worked on a few different tasks within the Newhall Library. My first assignment was to make flyers for two events the library is holding. The first flyer dealt with Science Club. The Newhall Library is promoting a weekly event for young children to come into the library to learn and participate in fun and educational activities. The second flyer I made was to promote Read to a Dog Program. Each of the three library branches promotes this activity. Young children are able to choose any book from the library; they get 15 minutes to read to a dog. Four to five dogs are brought into the library by volunteers for the children to read too. These animals are service animals, typically for individuals who are blind or are therapy dogs. This activity helps to promote reading as well as familiarize young children with dogs.

In addition to working on flyers, I also observed as well as participated in Baby & Toddler Story-time. I was very nervous, but once the program was over I felt much better. I assisted a different children's librarian, Kelly, because Christina was out sick. I helped to sing songs such as the "Itsy Bitsy Spider" and I read "Goodnight Moon."While singing, I wore a spider hand puppet and the children seemed to love it. This was definitely something different and nothing I am used to. It was a good experience however; I was able to slowly ease into it. I hope, before this experience is over, to complete a whole story-time on my own.

In addition to these two assignments, I also worked at the children's reference desk and helped several kids locate books, both for school and for fun.







This is a picture of part of the children's area in the Newhall Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment